sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2004 4.7l v8 automatic trans suddenly without warning

Customer Question

Customer: my 2004 4.7l v8 automatic trans suddenly without warning will not attempt to start. turn key hear slight tick\click and nothing. have cleaned battery terminals (battery good) tried different keys.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: started fine yesterday Saturday drove a little while 15min, went to store came out and nothing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have all day if this will help get my car started or at least possible ideas of what could be problem, starting with least exp to most. started car with jumping starter solenoid to get it home.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't seem to locate the nss is it on the passenger side or the driver side of the transmission?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're hearing a light click when turning the key to the crank position it's most likely the starter relay. The ASD and fuel pump relays will click when the key is first turned on, the starter relay when turning to the crank position.

There are quite a few things that can cause a no crank condition. If the starter relay is actually clicking though the problem has to be a lost power feed to the relay, the relay itself, a wiring issue between the relay and starter, the starter itself, or possibly a poor power feed to the starter or poor engine ground. A poor ground or starter positive feed woudl more likely cause a single solid click from the starter when attempting to crank though.

If the starter relay is clicking and no fuses are blown then the next step will be to test for power on the small wire at the starter solenoid with the key in the crank position. If ok, the engine ground and starter positive feed are ok and the engine is physically able to turn then the starter will need to be replaced.