Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

2008 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3L CKP sensor intermittent.

Customer Question

2008 Chrysler Town and Country 3.3L CKP sensor intermittent. 5v supply good,ground good, no shorts on circuit, new CKP sensor, checked Pcm harness pins all good. Tried battery reset and relearn by going 65mph then closed throttle decel to 45mph 3 times. What else could it be?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. A problem with the cam sprocket tone wheel, or a cracked flex plate can cause that fode. Most likely a cracked flex plate. Remove the trans bell housing inspection plate and look st the flex plate. If you see rust streaks on the flex plate, then the plate is cracked and causing the crank sensor signal to go out of sync with the cam signal and causes thst code to set. I have seen this more than once on that engine.

Replacing the flex plate will fix this.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Once the flex plate is corrected would I need to do the relearn steps again or would it require a "flash" from the dealer scanner?
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

No flash required, but a relearn would be a good idea.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so I took off the inspection cover and the flex plate looks good. No rust or damage. I rechecked the wiring one more time and swapped the CKP sensor again for a new one just in case I had gotten a faulty one. Still same code.
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok, let me research this some more and see what else it may be.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

By the way, what is the exact "P" code that you are getting?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
P0339
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is the only trouble code present and if I erase it within seconds of cranking the engine it comes back up
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Ok. I will work on this soon. Doing Christmas things with family, but will get back on this Saturday. Is that ok?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good
Expert:  Chris replied 11 months ago.

Thanks! ***** to you and your family

Chris