tracer5
tracer5, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L1, Shop Owner, Foreign and Domestic
13677702

I have a 2005 Chrysler PAcifica with a 3.5l engine. I am

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2005 Chrysler PAcifica with a 3.5l engine. I am replacing the timing belt. I had everything lined up on TDC with the belt removed. I installed the belt on the crank pulley and secured it in the teeth. I routed the belt to the right camshaft and was trying to get it aligned on the teeth. The camshaft rotated approximately 90 degrees clockwise. What do I need to do to get this camshaft back onto the timing ***** *****? How do I prevent this from happening again?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2005 Chrysler PAcifica with a 3.5l engine. I am replacing the timing belt. I had everything lined up on TDC with the belt removed. I installed the belt on the crank pulley and secured it in the teeth. I routed the belt to the right camshaft and was trying to get it aligned on the teeth. The camshaft rotated approximately 90 degrees clockwise. What do I need to do to get this camshaft back onto the timing ***** *****? How do I prevent this from happening again?Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/7qqka-chrysler-pacifica-04-pacifica-3-5-crank-tdc-left.html#ixzz3uWntemYB
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  tracer5 replied 11 months ago.

Hello sorry for the delay. How did you route the belt? clockwise or counter clockwise looking at front of the engine?are you following repair information online or a book/?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am following an online video for this repair.I started the belt on the crankshaft pulley. The routing is then to the upper right to a camshaft pulley. This camshaft pulley was TDC when I started to install the belt. The belt didn't engage the teeth with good tension, so I very slightly rotated the camshaft pulley clockwise to get the teeth to engage. I then rotated the camshaft pulley very slightly counterclockwise to tension the belt. Unfortunately, the belt cam off the camshaft pulley. I noticed the timing mark had rotated ~45 degrees clockwise (my original note had said 90 degrees) on this camshaft and I stopped. I don't know what to do next. The crankshaft is still TDC and the Upper Left camshaft pulley is TDC. My issue is with the position of the timing mark on the Upper Right camshaft pulley.Sorry it took me so long to respond to your question - the email went to my spam folder.
Expert:  tracer5 replied 11 months ago.

its ok, you DO know the camshaft timing marks correct? you are 100% certain you were lining up cam marks otherwise i can send the written repair information, just reconfirming everything till I send and answer, Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did not disassemble anything on the camshafts of the crankshaft. This is a water pump, timing belt, tensioner and pulley replacement project.There are a total of 52 teeth on each of the camshaft pulleys. The Upper Right camshaft pulley has rotated 8 teeth clockwise from TDC. The Upper Left camshaft pulley is still on it's mark (I did not touch this one yet).
Expert:  tracer5 replied 11 months ago.

well, good information, I was really trying to be sure you fully understood the timing marks so,, since i suspect you do? you did nothing wrong, the thing is the csms when you set them... one or the other can be under some tension on the cam lobes opening the valves so,. you get the cams and crank back lined up, yes, you route the belt around the left cam firts, you have to do this, I fully understand ot moved, but you need to reset that cam , get belt back on and then? ?? the trick we use? get a small pair of vice grip pliers, set the pliers to ONLY clamp the belt to the cam pulley, NOT so hard as to damage or hurt the belt, Clamp the belt on the cam pulley, continue feeding the belt the counterclockwise way, clamp the other cam gear if you need, , I know what it did, we deal with this all the time, The trick is to hold the belt on the cam gear with vice grips, then feed the belt till done, release tensioner, One of the cam gears will be spring loaded as you experienced, You must do what you can to hold belt to cam gear and tighten everything up counterclockwise, Vice grips are the trick without experience holding the cam gears as we do , doing many on various makes /models. I have included a link for the factory repair information for reference as I do not know what you are watching. looking at

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you sure I should start with the upper Left camshaft pulley - I haven't touched this one yet?I read this in the technical document and I don't understand what it is actually telling me. Am I supposed to rotate the Upper Right camshaft counterclockwise (8 teeth) to get it back on its' timing mark?
CAUTION: If camshafts have moved from the timing marks, always rotate camshaft towards the direction
nearest to the timing marks (DO NOT TURN CAMSHAFTS A FULL REVOLUTION OR DAMAGE to valves
and/or pistons could result).
Expert:  tracer5 replied 11 months ago.

I had asked what you mean by left and right looking at the timing belt., you did not reply on that one so, I was adding, you put belt on crank, the feed to the LEFT cam meaning,, the one on right when looking at the timing belt. You feed the belt onto the cam gear, the LEFT cam gear, , yes you may/. have to move the cam a little CLOCKWISE to get the belt on, then back COUNTERCLOCKWISE to set the belt, I suggested vice grips to clamp belt to the cam pulley the LEFT one or,, one on the right when looking at the fromt of the engine, then feed the belt aroundl You will NOT damage any valves by a slipping cam shaft, it take smore than this like you do NOT want to set belt out of time, CRANK engine and yes, you will then bend valves,I know what is written, but,, this is only a caution, Just follow what I sent and directions and suggets to hold belt to cam, Hope this makes sense

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I must have missed that message. Yes, I am looking at the front of the engine where the timing belt is located.Just to be sure I understood correctly. I should manually rotate the Upper Right camshaft (from my view) to align the timing marks? Once these are aligned I should then route the timing belt to lock the crankshaft, Upper Right and Upper Left shafts together? How much force should I expect to apply to get the Upper Right camshaft timing marks aligned?
Expert:  tracer5 replied 11 months ago.

I am confused, I have sent the repair information, The belt is routed counterclockwise as looking at front of the engine, sometimes you have to manually turn the cam to grab the belt teeth then turn cam a little the other way to take up slack, ALL slack is taken up in counterclockwise putting belt on, I suggested vice grips to clamp belt to cam gears to aid in doing this, I am not there, hard to explain from my end not being there, the thing is vice grips to clamp belt to cam gears while you route the belt to avoid the gear moving as it did as you mentioned it did. Doing my best to help explain this, Sorry if you are not following,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the belt is routed counterclockwise when looking from the front of the engine.I think where we are disconnected is on the 1st camshaft pulley (I call this Upper Right) you route the belt around when going counterclockwise from the crankshaft. This camshaft pulley is currently 8 teeth (clockwise) from having the timing marks aligned. Am I supposed to rotate this camshaft pulley counterclockwise (without the belt on) to get the timing marks aligned and then install the belt?I do understand what you mean with using the vise grips to keep the belt engaged on the camshaft pulley. I'm just hung-up on what to do with the camshaft pulley that is 8 teeth out of time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Randall,
I went back to one of your earlier messages and found this sentence: you did nothing wrong, the thing is the cams when you set them... one or the other can be under some tension on the cam lobes opening the valves so,. you get the cams and crank back lined upDid you mean that I need to get the timing marks on the crankshaft and both camshafts back onto their TDC marks? Does this also mean that I need to rotate the (Upper Right) camshaft counterclockwise until these marks are aligned? If so, how much force should I expect to apply since this is something I haven't done before?
Expert:  tracer5 replied 11 months ago.

yes, crank and cams all need to be set on timing marks. if you begin to turn the crank or a cam and you feel like it hit something, just stop and turn turn the crank gear back a liitle, go back to cam turn till marks are aligned, You can not do a timing belt unless all marks are aligned,You will not turn something ny had and bend a valve, So yes,, turn till all 3 are aon the marks and then feed the belt back on, force? I cant answer that, the cams take a little effore to turn them and you will know if one stops ,the repair information I sent explains all of this