sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

300 touring 3.5l squeak on acceleration, seems relative to

Customer Question

Hi Jeff, 300 touring 3.5l squeak on acceleration, seems relative to vehicle speed, seems worse when accelerating exiting a turn
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The squeak may be a number of things depending on where it's coming from. If it's coming from under the hood it's likely coming from the belt, it could be brake noise or something foreign like a rock in a backing plate, or if it's coming from underneath it could be the u joint in the center of the driveshaft or the carrier bearing. These would often be cyclic squeaks that are throttle sensitive.

What area does the noise come from?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yup, under car, cyclic, throttle sensitive and correlated to vehicle speed. If I understand correctly the driveshaft had couplers at each end and a center carrier as well... Readily serviceable with hand tools?

The rubber couplers do wear out and cause a vibration but I doubt they're causing your noise. I expect the noise is coming from the carrier bearing or the U joint in the center. I would recommend either running it on a hoist to ensure that's where the noise is, or remove the shaft to feel the carrier bearing and U joint. The couplers can be visually inspected.

Only normal hand tools would be necessary to remove the shaft.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Center carrier bearing *and* a ujoint?? Yikes. Will check further and report back later

Great!