sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2005 g voyager diesel auto gear box locking in 3 rd .and

Customer Question

Customer: Jerry, 2005 g voyager diesel auto gear box locking in 3 rd .and baulking after a long journey,but fine when cold and shorter journeys , is this a recognised problem ? ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: g has had auto box oil,filter changed and speed sensors replaced
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for requesting me. Sorry to say that I don't work on any vehicles in the U.K.

. I will open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's actually staying in second gear. When the trans controller sees an issue that can cause damage or it believes it doesn't have complete control, or the TCM itself isn't awake, then the trans will stay in second gear.

There are many possible causes for limp in ranging from the TCM itself, the integrated power module, wiring, the trans relay, solenoids and pressure switches, the input and output speed sensors, and internal trans issues. The most common issue would be the solenoid pack mounted to the front of the trans.

The first step in diagnosing the issue will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM.