sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I did a valve job on a 2002 Chrysler 300m now each time I

Customer Question

I did a valve job on a 2002 Chrysler 300m now each time I start the car it sounds like lifters are pecking, I have taken it apart down to the rocker arms around 5 times and put it back together and each time I start it I have the same problem pecking. the last time I took it apart I did see 1 keeper was missing so I fixed it but I is still have the pecking or knocking can anyone help? I'm getting tired.
Thank You,
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may need to replace the valvetrain actuator assemblies or it's possible that you have an oil supply issue. You may have restricted passages in the block or heads, the headgaskets may be installed incorrectly or they may be incorrect and are blocking the oil passages.

What exactly was done when the heads were removed, and what was the reason for doing so?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the car just died never got hot or anything, I tolled it to a garage and they said it needed another engine I'm not sure which happened first they said the water pump locked up and cause the timing belt to break. I pulled the heads off and found the intake valve's were messed up, I replaced the intake valve's all 12 -the exhaust valve's look find so I left them in place
.
Roger,

Where did the headgaskets come from?

How did you determine which gasket went on which bank?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got them at Advance Auto Parts and as for the gaskets I didn't know it matter which side as long as they fit

The gaskets are directional and are different for the left and right heads. The gaskets should have been marked for left and right. If you installed the gaskets on the wrong sides then that could have blocked the oil feed passage to the rocker arms and would explain the noise. If there was no noise before and you now have multiple or all lifters ticking, and no visible problems are found with the rockers or lifters, then you most likely have an oil feed issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok it is possible I have the gaskets on the wrong side I did put more oil into it because it sound like it was low on oil but I work everyday so I can't get back to it until Wednesday, the car has not been run more than 3 or 4 minutes so would the gaskets need to be replaced?.

You may be able to reuse them but technically once a headgasket is crushed it shouldn't be reused.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will let you know what I find out Wednesday if weather permitting.

Great!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Another question, when the gaskets say's right or left banks how is the banks determined from behind the driver seat or standing in front of the car?

The left side of a vehicle is on your left when you're sitting in it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do you know the torque on the heads on the crystal 3.5

Step 1 is 45 foot pounds, step 2 and 3 are 65 foot pounds. Step 4 is a 90 degree turn.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is that for the 2002 Chrystal 300M 3.5?

Yes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will you nailed that one! I pulled the heads off the car today and it was as plain as the nose on your face the gaskets were on the wrong side, they had a (L) on one and a (R) on the other one. don't know how I missed that. Would that cause the pecking?
I have to work tomorrow so I hope to have it back together come Saturday.?Thanks,
Roger,
.

Great! If having them on the wrong sides was blocking proper oil flow then that would definitely cause the noise. I hope that takes care of it!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is the torque specs on the rocker arms around 22 pounds?

The rocker shaft mount bolts are 275 inch pounds 22.9 foot pounds.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
well you were right that fixed the problem.
Thanks Again,
Roger,

Excellent, I'm glad to hear it! I was actually wondering about that earlier today when I was putting a head back on.