bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 1998 sebring jxi with a 2.5 engine which won't

Customer Question

I have a 1998 sebring jxi with a 2.5 engine which won't start. I already know the PCM is bad. the trouble started when the a wiring harness short developed by the AC refregerent sensor and the 5 v reference went down. there's no signal to the fuel injectors. that being said, I'm a little confused with the PCM pinout. from the engine schematic i have, i think the 5 v reference is on pin 43, but i have trouble finding the r-g feed to the distributor. what i think is pin 11 doesn't have a r-g wire and neither does pin 11.I have pictures of the connectors i can upload if that helps.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I need the vin to pull the correct diagram for your pcm and I will upload it for you to compare to yours

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. I just read your response. The VIN is 3C3EL55H6WT321503. I can upload pictures which can show my understanding of the PCM pinout if that would help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are two pictures which show my understanding of the PCM pinout on my sebring JXI which should show my misunderstanding of the pinout.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

sorry about the delay It has been a busy day to say the least,

but I just looked at your pics and you have the pins incorrect, look at the second photo and you will see a 50 and a 41 in the connector those are the pin numbers so you need to count from the 41 which is RED/GREEN and you will find pin 43 is the wire you have cut, looking carefully there is a blue wire next to the orange wire and another red wire near the blue one

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

here is a link to the pcm pinouts based on your vin they are in word format and should be downloaded and printer/saved to your pc as they are only up for a few days

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1474cp99euhf0sq/pcm2.docx?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. This is a big help. Now i see why the sensor leads connected to pin 43 showed a short to ground! It's to dark to work now so first thing tomorrow is to reconnect the lead i cut & go on from there. Since i cut the sensor ground lead the crank and cam position sensors probably wouldn't work either so there wouldn't be any spark or signal to the fuel injectors. Well I'll work from there.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

excellent let me know if you need further help.

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will. The information you provided was a big help. No wonder I wasn't making any headway. I was completely off track. I just hope I didn't do any expensive damage. That's so easy to do with all this electronic stuff. Tomorrow's another day.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

just a follow up to see if you still need assistance, if not please don't forget to rate the service,remember you already paid to use the service all your rating does is allow me to be paid for my portion which comes from the fee you already paid

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we had some rain days last weekend and I was out of town several days last week, but I'm still working on the sebring. The test light I use has green & red LEDs. .the red one lights when i tap B+ & green when i touch on ground. I reconnected the sensor ground lead I cut and now I have a good camshaft position sensor signal on PCM pin 33. The green light turns on and off while i crank the engine. Not so with the crankshaft sensor signal on pin 32. The green LED stays lit, only the brightness changes a little bit. I have fuel to the fuel rail and I get signal from the PCM to the fuel injectors now. The PCM pulses the distributor and I get spark to spark plug. When I ordered the parts I was cheap and got NKG BKR5E II plugs. I later found these were incorrect so for now i put the Champion double platinum plugs back in. It tries to start but won't catch & keep running. Everything seems to be in place. When things reach a point like this i begin thinking i overlooked something simple and obvious, but I wonder about the crank sensor. I don't have a scope so I can't examine the timing of these signals, but I wonder if the crankshaft sensor signal is completely turning off.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

crank sensors were very common to short internally on all of our products and can easily cause a pcm to shut down and make you think you have a dead pcm, I have also seen tons of inexpensive aftermarket sensors cause starting/running issues so in your case it would be a good idea to swap out the crank sensor and see what happens, and don't be "cheap" here if you MUST use an aftermarket sensor use NAPA's proline (Belkin is their top line I believe) they were an OEM supplier and their sensors actually work I would run from sensors from auto zone or car quest/advance auto parts, they never seem to work properly

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I rarely use a scope to check sensors even though at all dealers they have access to one built into the DRB3 scan tool, I use the scan tool data to see if the cam and crank sensors are in sync but using the test lamp you have should also provide a good alternative since both cam and crank sensors send the computer a digital square wave.