Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 2000 Sebring convertible 2.5. It jumped time and

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Sebring convertible 2.5. It jumped time and bent some valves, I replaced everything and now it won't fire. I have injector pulse and 12v to the coil. The coil driver is lighting my test light when cranking but it isn't flashing it just stay on even after you stop cranking(only for a few seconds). I'm not a electrical genius so you'll have to dumb it down for me haha.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

remove the distributer cap,does the rotor turn when you turn the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I verified the timing with the cap off and it was rotating.

ok,,under the distributor,there is a crank sensor,is it plugged up>?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok,,and you have all electrical plugs connected?

you see that it for sure doesnt have a spark..corect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I very certain all sensor's and plugs are plugged in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have used all 6 wires with a variety of the plugs to check for spark and I have nothing

ok..

if this is the case,,you have one of two things going on

a bad crank sensor..or..

a bad distributer

Interruption of the primary current flowing in the primary side of the ignition coil generates high voltage in the secondary side of the ignition coil. The high voltage thus generated is directed by the distributor to the applicable spark plug. The engine firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6 cylinders. On application of high voltage, the spark plug generates a spark to ignite the compressed air fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. The ignition coil, ignition power transistor and camshaft position sensor are built in the distributor. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the ignition timing by turning on and off the ignition power transistor to regulate the primary current of the ignition coil. The camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor generate pulses that are input to the PCM. The PCM determines crankshaft position from these sensors. The PCM calculates injector sequence and ignition timing from crankshaft position. Basic ignition timing is not adjustable.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the crank sensor was bad wouldn't that trigger the ASD? I have fuel and 12v to the coil. I even have power in the coil drive when cranking. It's just a solid power instead of a pulsing power. As fa as the Dist its brand new and the car has done the exact same thing with the old one and the new one.

the crank sensor tells the distributer the engine is turning so it will activate the coils

if you have power at the coils i would think the asd is fine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll test the crank sensor tomorrow and get back with you.

ok

let me know how it gos

thanks