sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Aloha JF, I have a 2003 Sebring Convertible I bought and

Customer Question

Customer: Aloha JF, I have a 2003 Sebring Convertible I bought and noticed a few things. First, spare tire has a plastic screw (about 2-3 inches in diameter) that secures the spare. However, to try to remove it (so that in case I have a road issue), it is super hard to remove. Any alternative?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just got this car.....and spare is on the floor as it is to be with the screw in the middle. When they positioned the tire in and to secure this tire, they have this plastic piece that holds it in secure. When I try to turn it, it is super difficult to turn it in its direction for removal.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I already pay a membership....shall I sign in? This just appeared on Google as I was looking for answers.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're unable to turn the nut that holds the spare tire down it may be corroded in place or it may simply be tighter than you're able to turn. It's very possible that the threads on the bolt are rusted to the thread insert in the nut due to moisture and the spare not being removed for an extended time. What I would recommend is applying some good penetrating oil like PB Blaster and allowing it to soak in, and if necessary you can use a large pair of pliers to break the nut loose.