Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have noticed on my Chrysler 300c a coolant smell coming

Customer Question

I have noticed on my Chrysler 300c a coolant smell coming from my vents with both a/c and heat on but see no leaks?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Noticed it the smell after I just had replaced spark plugs.Also have lower temp thermostat
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may just be coolant sitting on top of the engine or engine area that leaked out when the thermostat was replaced that is burning off.I would have the coolant system pressure tested for any leaks and any leaks found repaired.If no leaks are found then I would have the engine rinsed off to see if the smell then goes away to see if it is just coolant that was sitting on top of the engine block.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have driven the car for 1000 miles after installing a low temp thermostat with no isues, recent smell is very strong can no longer drive the car and see no leeks after plugs were replaced. Could it be a gasket burning up
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This may be a slow leak past a gasket like an intake gasket as I have seen before and slowly burning off the coolant to where no leaks are noticed.You might try adding coolant dye to the coolant system then operate the vehicle for a few days then have it checked over with a dye tracer light to locate the hard to find leak.This is usually the best way when it is a leak like this here to locate it for repair.I have seen intake gaskets do this before making it hard to see them leak but they needed replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took it to the dealer and did a pressure test. No leak. Could it be antiseiz or dioletric grees
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you put anti seize on the spark plugs this can cause this smell here.If there are no leaks the smell should go away.I hope the dealer checked it over for any other leaks or issues that may be causing this and if they did and no issues were found the smell should go away over a short time.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete