sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Daryl, my name is ***** *****. I have an '07 Chrysler

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Daryl, my name is ***** *****. I have an '07 Chrysler Pacifica 3.8. after 30 miles of driving with lights and heater on, the temp. gauge pegs and red lightning bolt comes on, but engine is not hot. I've replaced 2 temp. sensors, 2 thermostats and put in a new alternator. When driving w/out lights and heater on, this doesn't happen. What could the problem be?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: As long as you don't use all the electronics, the car runs fine. It runs fine even when this warning comes on, but the heat doesn't work because the fans are running to cool. I've even pulled and put my hand right on motor, and it's not hot. The temp gauge is pegged at HOT.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Not in a rush
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're losing heat and the temperature gauge goes hot then you have air in the cooling system. The engine is actually overheating as indicated by the gauge; the only other way for the gauge to climb high would be a short on the coolant sensor signal circuit. That wouldn't affect the heat though, the heat is blowing cold because there is little or no coolant in the heater core at that time.

The issue may just be lack of proper cooling system bleeding but there may be an internal or external leak. How are you bleeding the cooling system after it is opened?