Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

I have a 2001 and 2002 Sebring convertible and both

Customer Question

I have a 2001 and 2002 Sebring convertible and both regularly blow the fuse that allows the car to start. The fuse can last a few hours to months but will eventually blow. Nothing appears on the dash as far as a problem; the car just won't turn over and start after being turned off.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

It's the starter.

Fuse 8 of your underhood Power Distribution Center feeds a great many circuits, but since the fuse never dies while driving -- the car always gets you there, but later fails to restart -- it confirms that the problem lies with the starter. All other circuits and wiring included in this fused circuit are in operation continuously while driving, but it's the act of trying to start the car (engaging the starter) that tips circuit draw over the edge. This is an effect I've seen for years in the Sebring- Stratus line, including the '95 to 2000 models that preceded your version.

You'll need to replace the starter. If you're tempted to increase fuse size, it might buy you some time, but it's at the risk of damaging vehicle wiring if there should happen to be a short elsewhere on the circuit. The problem actually lies with an excessive electrical draw from the starter solenoid, but since you can't get a solenoid separately from a starter unit these days, you're still stuck with replacing the whole thing.

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ed. It seemed strange that an electrical issue would affect both cars but this sounds logical.
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Sad, but almost certainly true. Starter draw has been a fairly common problem for a long time on these units and it's just plain bad luck to have two with the same problem in the garage.

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Once you've had time to verify my advice, a positive rating would be much appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Ed