Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

I have a 1999 Chrysler cirrus 2.5l. A couple months ago my

Customer Question

Hello I have a 1999 Chrysler cirrus 2.5l. A couple months ago my distributor went out in my car with no warning while driving. It was replaced and everything was fine for about a month. Now my car will only start after its been sitting. If it idles too long it will shut off. And if warm will not start up again until cooled off. It also will stutter and going up hill or on a straight and loses alot of power when making turns. Car takes awhile to get rpms going and I have to press the gas in order to start. Ran codes and P0171 came up and now sometimes it will read other codes like throttle position sensor and misfire and voltage to high. But 100% of the time system fuel/air mixture too lean bank 1. Fuel pump maybe? Thank you
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Most of your symptoms do in fact lead to a faulty fuel pump. The easiest way to be sure is to run a "Fuel Pressure Test" while the symptoms are active. Fuel pressure lower than about 35 psi will definitely cause concern. Normal fuel pressure is around 60 psi.

If you don't have access to a fuel pressure test kit, you can borrow one for free at your local AutoZone. This test kit should have everything needed to run a fuel pressure test.

If you need the procedure to run a fuel pressure test, let me know, I can round that up for you....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert