EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser. It will usually run fine, but

Customer Question

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser. It will usually run fine, but sometimes lurches and acts like it's only firing on one or two cylinders. It will eventually work itself out and run smoothly again. This seems to happen most often when going up hill or after I've had to come to a stop and try to accelerate again. I've replaced many parts with no success. Lately, it has started being hard to start occasionally... requiring pumping of the accelerator to start it. I've been told that it could be a bad fuel pump, but others say that a bad fuel pump would cause it to not run at all. It definitely seems like a fuel delivery problem to me. What do you think?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. To me it sounds like a fuel delivery problem as well. You may want to replace the fuel filter if that has not been changed in a while. But I have seen several fuel pump still operating but making reduced pressure. They dont all always fail and make no pressure. You could also install a fuel pressure gauge onto the engine and drive it and watch what the pressure does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought to start with replacement of the fuel filter, too, but have been told there is not a serviceable fuel filter on the PT Cruiser. It's supposedly built into the fuel pump, which is submerged into the top of the fuel tank. To replace the fuel pump, requires removal of the tank. A new fuel pump is pretty pricey, as well as the labor required. How do I go about installing a fuel pressure gauge to check this?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

To test the fuel pressure you need to get a fuel pressure gauge. Then there is a port on the fuel rail of the engine that you can screw the gauge onto to check the pressure.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Have you made progress with checking your fuel pressure? Do you have more questions? Please let me know and if not please rate my service. Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It turned out to be the computer. The fuel pump pressure was fine.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 12 months ago.

Ok. Glad to hear its fixed. Thank you for updating me of the repair. Please rate my service and have a great holiday season.