Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 2006 or cruiser. Engine light comes on and off. The

Customer Question

I have a 2006 or cruiser. Engine light comes on and off. The found stored codes for misfire and airbag module. Mechanic recomended to have computer updated before additional diagnostic. updated computer and had spark plugs and valve cover gaskets replaced. Now getting a p0304 code again.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Dan. Does the check engine light ever flash? Does it miss at idle and going down the highway? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No does not flash. Just goes off after a couple of days or by the next morning. Today rpm were high on 3 and feeling the car overworked. Pulled over shut engine and started again. Drive fine after that. It does. Have a hard Time on hill's. And feels different at stop lights
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does restarting car usually help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did today.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Things that are common to cause a specific cylinder misfire is coil, injector, valves, or a failed PCM which is the main engine computer. A failed PCM is the only thing that would reset when restarting car so as of now that is what it sounds like the problem is. To know for sure next time problem happens you will want to test injector pulse and coil trigger. If either are missing then verify that wire between component and PCM is good, if so replace the PCM. PCM replacement would be around a $500 job at dealer. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did asked if they could check if computer was failing. They only suggested to update computer. This is all done at the dealer.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

To find out if computer is failing they will need to test during problem which may be kinda hard. Otherwise they can swap around coils/injector to see if misfires move cylinders, if not then assume problem is the PCM. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dan.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it turns out or if you end up running into questions. Thanks again and have a good evening.