Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Low spark on 2009 pt cruiser, wont start

Customer Question

low spark on 2009 pt cruiser, wont start
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for battery voltage on dark green/orange wire going to coil while trying to start, let me know what it is. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bounces a bit with my tester 11 to 11.5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
been on this most of the day.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

How are you testing spark strength?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not. I am putting the spark on the wire.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

So spark just looks weak?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
spark is so small that I had to put my cheaters on to catch a glimpse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not checked crank sensor. if it didn't work right I wouldn't get any spark right?
replaced plugs. they were wet with fuel.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Tap the blue/tan and black/gray wires to ground to verify this causes coil to put out good spark, if not coil may be the problem. Let me know, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will need to do above test with key on so green/orange wire has power too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that wire does not have power to it unless I am cranking it over.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Remove asd relay and jump pin 87 to pin 30, this will force wire to have voltage at all times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you need to help me out with location and pin numbers of relay
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If you remove relay there should be a diagram on side of it showing pin numbers. It may be pin 5 and 4 you need to jump together if no pin 87 and 30.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are 2 relays on firewall. which one?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s77inc1vdsd2vb6/asd.png?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to take this on tomorrow. it started to rain and I didn't make it to the garage.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, have a good evening!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to make the coil grt power and ground using leads and a spark plug hanging over a ground. you need three hands and 6 fingers on each. I should have taken a pic. anyway nothing worked out ./ including the new coil I purchased. I had taken ohm readings all different ways and the new and old are identical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some quick info you may want to know. I bought this with a bad head gasket. had the head blocked,installed new timing belt/water pump. started and run for 1/2 hour idling in drive. took it around neighborhood. took it down hwy total 3 miles. as I turned into my neighborhood it stalled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the heated mirrors fuse has no power to it. 2 ads fuses have no power to them after about 2-3 seconds of turning key. the plastic wire covering it brittle and falling off in many places. the wires running to the alternator appeared to be starting to melt to the block next to a strap holding it. there were no signs of failure. is there a fusable link in this area or it may be a previous repair. the brown wire has an area where it goes to white and then back.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

Your PT Cruiser has a part called a Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) which is a combination fuse block and control module (computer) for the electrical system. It is sensitive to voltage spikes and susceptible to internal corrosion. The symptoms you describe indicate a faulty TIPM, which must be replaced as a unit along with the engine harness.

Please let me know if you need further help with this issue.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need this because the heated mirror fuse has no power?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are we available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I realize it is sunday but is anyone on call?

Hi again.

Do you mean the only sympton left is no power to the mirror heater fuse? If so, what happened to the other stuff you mentioned before, i.e., weak spark, no power to 2 additional fuses, wiring to alternator starting to melt, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the weak spark is my problem. the no power is after 2 to 3 seconds after the key is turned. it is for the disabling relay. that is the way it is to operate? as I said there appeared the be no harm to the wires on the way to the alternator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pulled codes 0508 0522 0123
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if these are ll related to the tipm then problem solved. I will strap one on.

The automatic shutdown relay (ASD) gets its current from the TIPM, as do all other electrical systems in the PT. If there is internal resistance in the TIPM, that current will be too weak for the primary circuit to be able to create a good spark.

I know it can be frustrating, but the only way to properly diagnose these systems is either with the help of a scan tool that can communicate with the TIPM and read its data, or with a low-amp probe hooked to a lab scope. I will gladly guide you through a systematic diagnosis if you can get access to either one of those tools. However, if those tools are not available to you, and based on my many years working on these computerized systems as a Chrysler Master Tech, I can offer an educated guess that the most probable cause of all those electrical issues is a bad TIPM.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Best Regards.

Codes P0123, P0508 and P0522 all refer to either low or high circuit signals, which indicate the need to do what Chrysler recommends and replace the engine harness along with the TIPM.

Best regards.