Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Working on a 97 sebring 2.5 v6 has fuel and fire but wont

Customer Question

working on a 97 sebring 2.5 v6 has fuel and fire but wont start....
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Does it have fuel pressure or does it actually have fuel in the engine? In other words, are you sure the fuel injectors are working? If not, check the fuel injector fuse/s. If it does have gas, remove a spark plug and smell if it's gas fouled. Then see if the engine will start up for a few seconds with starting fluid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried starting fluid does not start or run at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has a new fuel pump checked all fuses in power dist box fuel; on plugs
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

remove a spark plug and smell if it's gas fouled

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are gas on the plugs tried srarting fluid wont fire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gas soaked
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, first of all the engine isn't going to start even with starting fluid if the spark plugs are gas soaked. Clean them with some carb cleaner or replace them and try again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned 3 left them out all night put back in and used starting fluid no start
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Why did you clean just 3? You have to clean them all.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

How exactly are you confirming that there is spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you haft to pull the air intake to get to them all. put the plug on top of motor and turned the motor over and also used a timing light
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so you have spark. I assume it's a bright spark also. You are going to have to clean all of the spark plugs at the same time. A v6 engine will not run on only 3 cylinders and surely won't start on only 3.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the lady said she was backing out and it spudder and died hasent started since
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hasent attempted to start
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so after you get the spark plugs cleaned and get the engine to start, you will have to find out why they gas fouled or if they just gas fouled from trying to start after something else went wrong that caused the engine to stall.

I suggest then you retrieve any codes from the computer module and check the fuel system pressure and replace the fuel filter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got new fuel pump new filter no codes in computor
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Was the fuel pump and filter replaced after the engine stalled and would not start? Were the codes ever cleared?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What is the fuel pump psi?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20lb on key on crancking49 yes changed after motor stalled
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
codes not cleared
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

It should be 47-51 PSI with key on. I don't know why though you have such a large difference between key on run and key on start.

Anyhow, I was looking for actually too much fuel pressure that could have contributed to the gas fouling of the spark plugs.

Speaking of the spark plugs, have you or are you going to clean them all and see if it starts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes as in you did or you are? If did, does it start now, if are, let me know if it does or doesn't start afterward.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting ready to get parts no but seems if back plugs not fouled but front is fouled with gas
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand what you just said.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You are getting ready for what parts?

You never finished your thought when you said, "seems if back plugs not fouled but front is fouled with gas". You have to use commas, periods (pronunciation) or I won't understand what you mean.

Are the back spark plugs not fouled?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the front bank is saturated with gas on the plugs, upon pulling the intake and checking the rear bank the plugs were dry, as if no to very little fuel. we are going to go and get new plugs, might as well since we are in this deep.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok you might want to check and make sure you have voltage to each fuel injector with the key on run. I see that they all are fed from the same fuse but 1,3, 5 and 2,4,6 are fed from different branch circuits. The splice S114 is where the each branch off. Here is the wiring diagram,

If they both do have power, check the ground pulses at least one on each bank with a noid light.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Noid light while cranking of course.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok mike, I checked and we have power and noid light blinks while cranking so we have ground pulses. installing new plugs as we speak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now we have everything back together, it is at least trying to start but still wont even with starting fluid.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Well, now you have to start thinking about the timing belt. How does the engine crank over? Any faster than normal, like it lost compression?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the answer is yes, here are the instructions for removing the timing belt cover and the belt,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the first time I worked on this car but it seems like it turns over fast. I took off one side of the timming housing and the belt looks good haven't taking the other side off yet but that's what I was thinking abput the timming belt
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I would continue and take a look at the marks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will do bye for now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Was it the timing belt? I was thinking about this and wondered if that camshaft on the side with the wet spark plugs was even turning. If you haven't already removed the timing belt cover, perhaps removing that valve cover and see if the camshaft moves or not when cranking the engine over. If not, and the belt looked ok when you saw it maybe a keyway or something broke on that camshaft sprocket.