Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager
2947720

I own a 2002 PT Cruiser with 80,000 miles and in excellent

Customer Question

I own a 2002 PT Cruiser with 80,000 miles and in excellent condition. Recently she would not start so I bought a battery, and the very next time I shut her off she would not start. I took her to a local mechanic in Sheldon, WA who had the car for a full day and also overnight and said that she started up each time and he could see nothing wrong.
She has not started for me about 6 times since then and I have checked the connections and everything looks fine. I have to keep jumping her with my amplifier jump box to get her started. What should I check next?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for visiting the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I can get the instructions for it and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as is allowed.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Account # ***** and Order ID# ***** No Thanks, Please cancel my membership as I got the information from a free Auto Zone video and have already emailed it to my son. I wish I had done that first. Please just make sure I am cancelled. Thanks Jerry.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

You’re welcome and please come again, anytime, thanks