sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2008 Chrysler Aspen and I've tried pushing the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Chrysler Aspen and I've tried pushing the power and recirculation button and nothing happens
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.

Where do you have the air setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Currently on Defrost. But it won't change from the front air vents no matter what setting it's on. I can hear the vent flap moving when I switch it but it stays on blowing out the front vents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to recalibrate it by pushing the power and recirculation button for 5 seconds but nothing happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any answers this morning?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm not aware of a manual calibration that can be done without a scan tool and there is nothing mentioned in the service information. If you hear something moving when attempting to change modes then most likely the actuator is moving and the mode door is broken, in any even a calibration problem won't cause you to not be able to change modes. A calibration problem would cause inaccuracy or actuator clicking.

I assume what you're hearing is the actuator moving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Possibly, it does sound like a door is moving as if it's sealed with rubber.

With the blower motor on low, key on but engine not running, change temperature and note the sound. Is it the same as when you try to change mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay my wife went away for a couple of days and I didn't have access to the vehicle. I do hear a motor moving but it's not the same sound. The other one sounds like a rubber flap moving and I can hear the rubbing sound.

That's what I expected. The sound of the blend and mode doors should be nearly exactly the same.

I believe you're hearing the mode door actuator moving but the door isn't moving. If you do hear the actuator then the problem is a mechanical failure of the door in any event. What usually happens is the doors break where the actuator engages them and it prevents the door from moving when changing mode. The heater box would need to be removed and disassembled to know for sure. The doors and heater box are serviced together, odds are the door is broken and the door/heater box will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any easy way to get to it to replace myself?

The steering column, dash and heater box need to be removed to repair it. It's about a six hour job with all proper tools including an a/c recovery machine.