Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I'm looking at your post from 4 yrs ago about parking brake

Customer Question

Hi, I'm looking at your post from 4 yrs ago about parking brake cable replacement. How does one rewind the clock spring and reinstall a "lockout pin" to allow install of new cable?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

What kind of vehicle do you have? Also your asking about the parking brake or clockspring which is behind the steering wheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad, vehicle is a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country. Cable broke at barrel at pedal side. I have new cable in place but need to hook up at pedal side under steering wheel. I believe clock spring needs to be unwound to attach cable and have it reach proper length to meet equalizer.Thanks,
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply Matt!!

Does this help?

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Manually release the automatic self-adjusting mechanism tension of the parking brake lever (pedal) assembly.
  3. Remove the intermediate and left rear park brake cable from the park brake cable equalizer .
  4. Remove the front park cable housing retainer from body outrigger bracket. Cable is removable by sliding a 14 mm box wrench over cable retainer and compressing the three retaining fingers. Alternate method is to use an aircraft type hose clamp and screwdriver.
  5. Lower vehicle.
  6. Remove the left front door sill molding.
  7. Remove the left front kick panel for access to the park brake cable and park brake pedal assembly.
  8. Lift floor mat for access to park brake cable and floor pan. Pull the seal and the park brake cable out of the floor pan of vehicle.
  9. Pull parking brake cable strand end forward and disconnect button from clevis. Tap cable housing end fitting out of pedal assembly bracket.
  10. Remove cable retainer from the parking brake lever (pedal) assembly bracket.
  11. Pull front parking brake cable assembly out of vehicle through hole in floor pan.

INSTALLATION

1. Pass front parking brake cable assembly through hole in floor pan from the inside of the vehicle.
  2. Pass cable strand button through the hole in the lever (pedal) assembly bracket.
  3. Install cable retainer onto the park brake cable and then install cable retainer into pedal assembly bracket.
  4. Install the end of the park brake cable into the retainer previously installed into the park brake pedal bracket.
  5. Install cable strand button into the clevis on the park brake pedal mechanism.
  6. Install the front park brake cable floor pan seal into hole in floor pan . Seal is to be installed so the flange on the seal is flush with the floor pan. Fold carpeting back down on floor.
  7. Raise vehicle.
  8. Insert brake cable and housing into body outrigger bracket making certain that housing retainer fingers lock the housing firmly into place
  9. Manually reset the automatic self-adjusting mechanism tension of the parking brake lever (pedal) assembly..
  10. Assemble the park brake cables onto the park brake cable equalizer
  11. Lower vehicle and apply the park brake pedal 1 time. This will seat the parking brake cables.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad, I've already followed most of these steps to replace cable. My issue is that Step 2 does not apply as original cable snapped so it could not be followed. Now that cable is in place, I need to be able to manually unwind clock spring so that new cable can be attached to the pedal assembly. Is there a procedure or best practice to manually unwind this spring to and lock it out to allow for attachment new cable barrel?Thanks,
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

You may need to release the spring tension by this:

STANDARD PROCEDURE - PARKING BRAKE AUTOMATIC ADJUSTER TENSION RELEASE

The parking brake lever (pedal) mechanism used in this vehicle is designed so that the automatic adjuster is not required to be locked out when servicing the parking brake lever (pedal) or the parking brake cables.

This parking brake lever (pedal) mechanism is designed so that the adjuster mechanism will rotate only half a turn when the tension is released from the parking brake cable. This eliminates the requirement to lock out the automatic adjuster when servicing the parking brake lever (pedal) mechanism and cables.

Use the following procedure to release the tension from the parking brake cables and the automatic adjuster in the parking brake lever (pedal) mechanism.

1. Release the parking brake.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. If equipped with Fold-in-floor seating, perform the following:
    1. Clamp an appropriate pair of locking pliers on the front parking brake cable strand approximately 25 mm (1 inch) forward of the button at the equalizer
    2. Grasp the equalizer and pull rearward on it until enough slack is present to disconnect the equalizer from front or rear cables. While holding the front cable in this position using the locking pliers, disconnect the equalizer from cables
    3. Ease up on the front cable tension allowing the lever automatic self-adjusting mechanism to pull the front cable strand forward. This action allows the adjuster mechanism to rotate around to its stop, removing tension from the adjuster and front parking brake cable.
    4. Remove the locking pliers from the front parking brake cable as necessary.
  4. If not equipped with Fold-in-floor seating, perform the following:
    1. Grasp the exposed section of the front parking brake cable and pull rearward on it.
    2. While holding the cable in this position,
    3. Clamp an appropriate pair of locking pliers on the front parking brake cable strand just rearward of the second body outrigger bracket
    4. Disconnect the parking brake cables from the parking brake cable equalizer
    5. Remove the locking pliers from the front parking brake cable as necessary. This action allows the adjuster mechanism to rotate around to its stop, removing tension from the adjuster and front parking brake cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still not sure this applies, since the original cabled snapped at barrel on pedal side so it cannot be used to pull rearward and lockout with pliers as outlined in steps.As it stands now, spring has wound back so barrel position is far back toward pedal arm side and cannot be reached to attach new cable. I need to unwind or rotate it forward toward front of vehicle to expose barrel attachment position to attach new cable. Can this be done manually at spring?
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Do you have it connected at the equilizer? If so then disconnect it and then install it on parking brake assy.. Can you do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not currently connected to equalizer, problem is I cannot physically reach position where barrel attaches at front assembly without unwinding spring...I think :)Thanks
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you still can't attach the cable to the parking brake then is it unbolted from the floor as well to get all the slack you can to attach to the parking brake assy? If it'snot connected to the equilizer and not bolted to the floor it should have enough slack to attach the parking brake..

Keep me posted,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to avoid the whole process involved in removing pedal from floor. There is plenty of slack in cable but I cannot reach barrel attachment location. Is there no procedure to "unwind" the clock sprint tensioner?Thanks
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Matt I have looked and there is no procedure to unwind the spring because engineering didn't account for the fact that the cable could break at the lever itself.. And since it did you will need to get as much slack in the cable and attach it to the parking brake first then to the floor and equilizer, if you still can't get enough cable to attach it then you will need to remove the parking brake assy in order to attach the cable..