Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Bill swapped out an engine and now I'm not getting my 5 volt

Customer Question

hello Bill my name is ***** ***** out an engine and now I'm not getting my 5 volt ( 8 volt) sensor feed to the tps crank and cam. and a cpl other sensors all feeds and grounds to computer are there , even swapped out for brand new computer and still no joy would lave your input
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

sorry you havnt had a reply yet.

do you have 5v at pin 29 of the pcm c2 connector, orange wire?

IF you have 5v there, than you will have to start tearing open the harness and find a broken or rotten wire. it will be a bit time consuming but its the only way to find it.

IF the 5v is not present, than you either have a dead short to ground or a pcm problem.

A dead shorted sensor can cut the 5v for every other sensor on the same circuit. you will have to disconnect every sensor on that same circuit untill the 5v returns. A shorted sensor can also short out the pcm and cause no communication too. It usually stores a code though.

If its not a short than you will have to double check every every 12v feed and ground, ive been caught a few times by missing one.

check the 5v ref right at the pcm first. if you need wiring diagrams, let me know

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have checked all grounds and feeds into computer and have had all sensors unplugged checked orange wire for ground and have none not getting voltage out of computer even tho computer is brand new. I have all wiring diagrams I have an alldata system. thats why I'm stumped

hi bill,

Im sorry i couldnt help you any further.

I am still going to do some searching and if i come up with anything ill let you know.

I am going to opt out in the meantime, and hopefully another tech can get you a little closer. As im sure you want this fixed asap

Thanks for your patience.

cam

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill, perhaps I can help.

It's important we don't assume that the replacement PCM is good just because it is new - having worked on Chryslers for over 30 years, I have seen my fair share of bad "new" parts, both on showroom cars as well as those on the Parts shelf.

The fact of the matter is that if there are not 5 volts coming out of the PCM connector C2 cavity 29 (K7 circuit Orange wire) with the ignition on, then either the circuit is grounded (and burning up the internal regulator in the PCM), or the PCM is not good.

I'm attaching some graphics that will hopefully make your task easier.

Best regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank u I have solved the issue with another computer

I'm glad you did.

Best Regards.