sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2005 chrysler 300 v6 touring, HVAC unit not working, airbag

Customer Question

2005 chrysler 300 v6 touring, HVAC unit not working, airbag light on
Checked fuse is ok
Removed HVAC controls and checked power at pin 1, pin 2 and ground at pin 3 and nothing
Removed Run Relay and checked power between pin 30 and 86 that was ok
Jumped out 30 and 87 and the blower fan came on, so I thought I needed a new relay.
Replaced relay but still nothing.
Help
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you jumped 30 to 87 and everything worked then that tells you the power feed to the relay is good and the output circuit is good. The issue is going to be with the control side of the relay, assuming there isn't a connection issue in the PDC where the relay terminals engage.

If you use a voltmeter to test the coil side of the relay then you could have gotten false readings. There may be battery voltage there but not enough current to close the relay contacts. What did you use for testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a test light to test to make sure all the fuses were ok.
I bought a new relay and replaced the old Run relay as well but that did nothing.
Because I had no power coming into the terminal I'm wondering if it's something else.
IF I had no power to the terminal when the relay was connected, but later when I jumped the relay and the fans came on, wouldn't that mean I had power to the terminal then? I didn't check the power there at the time.

What terminal had no power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terminal 1 and 2
Tested:
Terminal 1 with the car on
Terminal 2 with car off

With the key on and the test light alligator clip grounded remove the relay and probe each terminal that engages it. How many terminals light the test light?