Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/ Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

1996 Chrysler Town Country won't start. No cluster lights,

Customer Question

1996 Chrysler Town Country won't start. No cluster lights, no odometer, no gear position. When door is opened the chime goes off...no key in ignition. Sometimes fuel gauge works along with temp gauge. Tried jump starting..nothing happened. Disconnected battery for hour when reconnected still no luck starting
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

It sounds odd... but try pounding on the dash above the instrument cluster a bit and see what happens. A cracked solder joint in your cluster may be causing the communication network of your T&C to crash, preventing the OK-to-start message from your vehicle theft system from reaching the engine controller. At that point, you'll get a start-die situation that lasts about three times and then the starter is taken away. Sound familiar?

If so, a few well-placed shots to the cluster area might get you back on the road. I have a step by step tutorial for pulling the instrument cluster and resoldering the bad joint if it's effective. Not all vehicles will benefit from the slap test, but I put the probability of success at considerably above 90% for the permanent repair even if the slap isn't immediately beneficial.

Let me know and I'll be glad to send you additional info. A positive rating at this point tells me that you're not just surfing and I'll be sure to help you with your problem.

Ed