Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

Aloha, my 2009 pt cruiser did not pass the safety check

Customer Question

Aloha, my 2009 pt cruiser did not pass the safety check because the horn does not work. I checked the fuse-ok
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll try to help with your PT horn. It is likely that the horn itself is the culprit if it has been submerged. The horn actually doesn't have a fuse on this car. IT is computer controlled. It is possible that it is not working form being shorted with water. The computer turns off the circuit if it sees too much current draw. There is most likely a diagnostic trouble code stored in the body computer that would help with the diagnosis.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

The trouble code would start with a B and then 4 numbers

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

The following info is the diagnosis and testing from Chrysler service info:

HORN DOES NOT SOUND

1. Steering wheel, steering column, horn switch or Steering Control Module (SCM) damaged.

1. Inspect and repair as necessary in accordance with service information.

2. Horn switch sense circuit or return circuits open.

2. Using a scan tool, check for DTC. Diagnose and repair in accordance with service information. If no DTC is present, inspect wiring and harness connectors and repair as necessary.

3. Horn switch open.

3. Inspect and test wiring and harness connectors and test horn switch function and repair as necessary.

4. Horn switch sense circuit or return circuits open to SCM or CCN.

4. Using a scan tool, check for DTC. Diagnose and repair in accordance with service information. If no DTC is present, inspect wiring and harness connectors and repair as necessary.

5. Horn control output circuit open.

5. Using a scan tool, check for DTC. Diagnose and repair in accordance with service information. If no DTC is present, inspect wiring and harness connectors and repair as necessary.

6. Horn control output circuit open in TIPM.

6. Using a scan tool, check for DTC. Diagnose and repair in accordance with service information. If no DTC is present, inspect wiring and harness connectors and repair as necessary.

7. Ground circuit open.

7. Inspect and test wiring and harness connectors and repair as necessary.

8. Horn open.

8. Test horn switch function and repair as necessary.