Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

How do you adjust the idle speed on a 2006 Chrysler sebring

Customer Question

how do you adjust the idle speed on a 2006 Chrysler sebring 4 cylinder
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** cannot adjust the idle. Is your check engine light on? Does it run ok other then idling problem? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light is on and off (drives us nuts) Runs ruff till about 10 or 20 miles an hours. Idles bad at about 700 RPM, if I hold brake and take it up to about 900 or 1000 rpm, it keeps running OK. at a stop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I get an answer to my problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what diagnostic codes your getting? You should be able to turn key on-off-on-off-on and code should display on odometer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, did not know that. So, there is no idle adjustment at all?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Correct, there are on adjustments available. Check codes and let me know. If that doesn't work you can have codes checked for free at parts store using scan tool. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Let me know thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought this car 2 years ago, took it to a Chrysler Dealership for a tune up and to have a smog cert. for California. The shop told me it had a bad head gasket because it was running hot. They wanted $2000.00 Dollars to fix the head gasket, but still passed it with a smog cert. so I could register it (could it even pass smog with a bad head gasket?) So I bought a bottle of Red Devil, ran it and it cured the overheating problem. Could they have tuned it wrong or something? Idle problem is nuts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I still with you?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The head gasket was likely leaking before and the red devil stopped leak. depending on how head gasket failed it still may have passed missions. Let me know if you have more questions or when you get codes. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that, Thanks.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, keep me updated. Thanks again and have a good night.