gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2009 t&c. this summer my van got a new

Customer Question

i have a 2009 t&c. this summer my van got a new transmission. it was in the shop last week for the recall having to do with the key sticking. i told them that my van would not start about every 20 times - that it would make one click sound and then nothing. you could try it a few times and it would start like normal. they said i need a new starter for $600. I asked them how they knew that and they said that noise, the 1 click was a sure sign. I asked if there was a test or anything they could do to make sure and they assured me they wouldn't replace the starter if it didn't need to be replaced. well, this weekend, the same thing happened again. took it back to the shop this a.m. but they said that it needs to replace a sensor that was faulty too, but that it did need the starter. i believe the sensor was faulty, but how do i know that i really needed a new starter too?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
transmission range sensor - is part they say I need in addition to the starter.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Sounds to me like a misdiagnosis, if the starter was bad why would it start after not starting? You'll just have to be very bold with them and not back down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say on Friday they got it to do the issue of the 1 click multiple times before turning over - they said that was starter and that the computer didn't say anything regarding the transmission range sensor on Friday. So they replaced the starter. They said often times the TRS doesn't make any noise at all - it just doesn't turn over. But that's obviously not the case with me - because this weekend -same exact issue as before with the 1 click with a supposed new starter installed. Do you know if the TRS going bad would make that 1 click sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said they thought the starter was going bad - not that it was totally bad and wouldn't start at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the starter and the TRS related? In other words, if the TRS goes bad does that mean the starter is bad too?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

If the TRS is showing a gear other than Park or Neutral, it would not let the starter activate- I guess I have never tried to listen for a click when in gear. If I think of it I'll try it tomorrow, maybe you can try as well to see if it makes a click if you try to start it with the car in a drive or reverse gear.