Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I am trying to determine if my ignition switch on my 2005

Customer Question

i am trying to determine if my ignition switch on my 2005 chrysler 300 is needing replaced. I am now having problems starting the car i have to push the key over very very hard like almost breaking hard before the engine will turn over and start. have lights power just itermittent problems getting it to crank without using extreme force turning my key
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If anything it's probably not the ignition switch but the ignition lock cylinder or the rod between the two. Give me a second, I want to see what that involves.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Actually there is no rod, the ignition switch isn't down on the bottom of the steering column. In fact it is on the opposite side of the ignition lock cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks let me know if you need more info, had the starter, battery and alternator tested just in case and they good. So you are thinking the ignition lock cylinder if the culprit then?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

A tab on the ignition switch indexes to a notch in the lock cylinder housing.

That leads me to ask, has the switch or lock cylinder just been removed/replaced?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Also, a slot in the end of the ignition switch fits over the shaft in the end of the lock cylinder housing. Use the ignition key to rotate the lock cylinder to align the ignition switch with lock cylinder housing. Insert ignition switch into lock housing until locking tabs are seated into openings on lock housing.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I am just reading and giving you what I read. I'll see if there are any tsb's on this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the car hasn't had any major repairs in the six years I have owned it other then brake work and this started happening about a week ago rarely and now it's every time u try to start it
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I would start disassembling both the ignition switch then lock cylinder and see if anything is broken or misaligned.

I'll get you the instructions on both.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I would try another key first if you have it but it sounds to me as though you may have been correct though.

Here are the instructions for 2005 Chrysler 300 Ignition Switch & Lock Cylinder, Removal & Installation and 2005 Chrysler 300 Ignition Switch, Removal & Installation

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Find the problem yet?