Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2006 PT....my kids are on the road in ohio....started

Customer Question

2006 PT....my kids are on the road in ohio....started shaking and engine lite can on. Said it was " sputtering" like it was gonna break down. Just put 4 new tires on and front brakes. Was state inspected. I never had this problem .?????
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light flashing? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not flashing. Just on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan. Kids just picked up car and are driving from va to mn.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Check codes and let me know what they are. Here is a video that shows how .

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=houmJ3BpiZk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You tube nor helpful. Kids said diagnostic check at Walmart did not come up with codes or problem
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If light is on there should definitely be some codes stored. Have them do onboard code test with key as shown in above link. Let me know, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Did they try to do above procedure to get codes from dash? It sounds like a possible problem with camshaft position sensor which is common to cause it to drive rough and turn on check engine light. But checking the codes is still step 1.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you call them? I sent them you tube video. But didn't make sense to me when I watched it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Here is another video that shows how to check codes. I could call them but I don't think your better off saving the money and having them figure it out without me calling.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcwAFsdCivw Check that video

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dan. I sent it to them but it is not helpful. The video shows more of the car and no codes. It's $18 to call them right?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is 18 to call them but they need to turn the key on-off-on-off-on and code should be displayed on dash. That is about all I can tell them even if they don't do it right. If they aren't able to check codes I'd recommend stopping at a parts store to try a different scan tool. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did it 4 times and NO CODE was displayed. We can end this and cancel what ever I signed up for. Just trying to help my stranded children. Thanks for trying. ROZI
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I put in refund request so you should be getting refund soon. If they are actually stranded there wouldn't be much we would be able to do. But if they can make it to parts store we could go from there. Thanks again and have good day. No rating required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** a good day. Worth a try.