bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

My name is ***** *****. The 20 amp, Ignition/Starter Fuse on

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. The 20 amp, Ignition/Starter Fuse on my 2002 Sebring keeps blowing. I have replaced the fuse twice in the past three weeks, so I know there is a more permanent problem and not just a random fuse defect.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. When I turn the ignition, nothing happens: No cranking, no sound,, nothing. The battery was replaced in September. All other electrical functions work fine. Once I replace the fuse, the car starts up, but with a little hesitation. I thought that problem would be solved with the new battery, but it was not. I am not suspecting the problem is with the Starter.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $16) to post your type of question to Chrysler Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: No hurry. Anytime in the next week is fine.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

in 99% of the cases I have seen with the starter fuse blowing it is the starter itself that is at fault.

the 20 amp starter fuse feeds ONLY the starter motor solenoid (on the starter) and if the solenoid has developed an intermittent short (common) it will blow the fuse when you attempt to start the engine, this fuse is ONLY POWERED when the key is in the START position.

replacing the starter with a good quality (NEW PREFERRED, rebuilt starters were rebuilt for a reason) starter should stop the fuse from blowing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
concise, definitive, logical, and easy to understand.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

thank you in the 1% of cases where it wasn't a starter I found the YELLOW wire that feeds the starter solenoid to have a bare spot VERY close to the starter touching the heat shield that covers the starter or very close to the shield, in all cases I recommend replacing the 1/4 inch female spade terminal at the end of this wire as it tends to spread out and cause a poor connection USUALLY after it is disturbed, you can us a standard YELLOW spade terminal WITH HEAT SHRINK ATTACHED or use the service replacement part, p/n 05019927AA this is assuming that is the terminal that is equipped on your car, SOME were changed to a sealed terminal and others used a ring terminal all depending on the supplier of choice 95% use the 1/4 spade terminal.

once you are satisfied please rate the service, any positive rating will allow me to assist in the future with this question no further charges, simply reply to this thread and I will get back as soon as I can