Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chrysler Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I've had a ton of problems with the brakes on my 1997

Customer Question

Hello, I've had a ton of problems with the brakes on my 1997 Town & Country. I've been replacing the front ceramic pads every 3 months. I just replaced them again and the rotors. I drove it for one day and the power assist reservoir failed, so I replaced that.

Then I tried bleeding the brakes using a hand vacuum pump at the nearest (Driver's Front) wheel. I just pulled bubbling air and a half pint of fluid. So I must have a leak yes?

All the connections are tight and there are no fluid leaks at the MC or any wheel. I finally found a leaking (Brake fluid) rear proportioning valve just in front of the rear driver's side wheel. I ordered a new one from NAPA which I'm going to install today.

Do you think this is where all the air was coming from? I've been reading all sorts of horror stories about bleeding these brakes. Can you tell me how to do it by myself hopefully using a hand vacuum pump.

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Once you get the proportioning valve replaced you can use the instructions below to manually bleed the brake system. This vehicle has a different bleeding sequence than most cars and you need to follow the sequence in the exact order as stated in the instructions. You dont really need the vac pump to do this but you will need a helper, just use a section of clear tubing that will fit over the bleeder screw and then go into a container. You might be able to use the hose for the hand vac pump you have.

Remember to follow the sequence (LR,RF,RR,LF) and also make sure the rear brake shoes are adjusted up.

Click here for the bleeding instructions.

LJ

Did you get the brakes bled out ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Please will you re-read our previous conversations. I'm now up to my 4th day working on these brakes and I'm still stumped as to what's going on. I'm still pulling through tons of air. Yesterday I replaced both front calipers with new ones but without success.

Where is all the air coming from???

I replaced the power brake reservoir after it went out, could there be a leak there or in the master cylinder?

How can I troubleshoot this other than just replacing parts?

H,

Your best bet it to have the brakes power bled. That involves a machine that pushes the fluid and air out of the system without having to pump the pedal. I dont know where the air is coming from but i do know that pressure bleeding will remove it all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So your answer it take it to a break shop, and I dont know where the air is coming from. Great help I must say !!

I cant be there to look at it. Its impossible for me to tell where the air is coming from. I'll see if someone else to wants guess/