sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

A 2008 PT cruiser does not open the trunk. I am looking

Customer Question

A 2008 PT cruiser does not open the trunk. I am looking for the emergency trunk latch. I don't seem to find it. Where exactly is it?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Since it has a liftgate rather than an enclosed trunk there isn't the glow in the dark safety release handle that cars with an actual trunk and lid have.

The problem may be mechanical or electrical. It may not be unlocking because of an electrical issue, something could possibly have been closed in the liftgate or there could be a striker adjustment issue, or the latch may have failed. A failed latch is likely.

If you insert the key in the liftgate lock cylinder will it turn normally?

Do you hear anything at the liftgate when trying to open it electrically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello:
I will be trying to fix the lift gate problem (i.e., not opening when I use the remote control to open it) today. How can I manually try to open the liftgate? I don't think the 2008 Chrysler PT cruiser has any keyhole. Should I jump into the trunk area through the backseat and use some type of tool to open the liftgate?

If you're unable to open it from outside then you'd need to remove the trim panel and work from inside. You may be able to move linkage and get it to open, if the latch has failed then it will need to be dismantled to open it.

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working on it. Please, let me know until what time you are available today.

Just post here if you need more help and I'll reply as soon as I am able.