gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Can not open the hood, cable lose or broken - 1998 Chrysler

Customer Question

can not open the hood, cable lose or broken - 1998 Chrysler town and country
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

the key to releasing the hood is to have one person push down on the hood, while another attempts to pull on the hood release lever. This works because the primary latch on many vehicles is designed to disengage when pressure is applied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to pushing, holding down the hood and pulling the hood latch....did not work
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

when pulling the lever under the dash, does it feel like there is tension on it? These latches tend to get rusty and hard to release if they are not lubed, especially in climates like where I am (MN) The latch has a primary lock (released by the cable) and the secondary lock which you release once you can lift the hood slightly and reach the lever. If the primary is already released, the cable pull should feel loose. You may need to have one person lifting at the same time you pull the cable, I have had it where the latch stays latched enough that when I release the cable pull handle it relocks again, so going out and lifting does not good. Try to do both at once.

If you still have a lot of tension on the cable pull, then the latch is sticking- as was recommended, putting some pressure on the hood at the same time as you try to pull the lever will release some tension allowing the latch to move more freely, but it may still stick a bit. Once you do get it open, spray it down liberally with some WD40, PB Blaster or other rust penetrant, and then soak it in some lube that will stay on and not dry out (WD40 is a penetrant, but will not stick around to lube long term)