Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

My 2004 non turbo or cruiser has been overheating. It

Customer Question

My 2004 non turbo or cruiser has been overheating. It happened again today, and now it will crank but not start, and it looks like it has sprung an oil leak. What should I check? There is also a metal (aluminum?) piece next to/up against the exhaust manifold that I think looks bent, but I don't know what it's called or what it should look like for sure.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

The first thing to do on a cranks-but-won't-start condition is find out what's missing; fuel (pressure and injector pulse), spark or compression. Begin your checks by trying to to start the engine with starting fluid. If it does, we'll know that spark and compression are OK.

Please keep me appraised of your progress.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone did try several times earlier to start it with starting fluid- it's in a spray can, right? That did not work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added a picture of the metal piece I'm talking about, it's the left side. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, it just didn't look right to me.

The metal piece seems to be from the heat shield and should not interfere in it of itself with the way the engine starts and runs.

Now, I can provide you with all the technical expertise needed to properly diagnose and repair this issue, but you will need access to tools such as a scanner, fuel pressure tester, Noid light, spark tester, etc., plus the basic skills to use them. Are you up to that challenge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately not... I only have very basic tools. I was hoping it would be something I could try to check without any fancy equipment.Although I did check to see if the engine was throwing any codes using the key method instead of a code scanner, but it doesn't seem to be throwing any.Is there anything else I can try to check myself without needing any special equipment?

That's the thing, the tools I listed on my previous response are actually considered "basic" - we would call digital storage lab scopes, dynos and gas analizers special equipment.

The good news is that a simple scanner that can read and erase codes sells for less than $60 at your local auto parts store; Noid lite and/or spark tester less than $15, multimeter less than $30, and so on - fuel pressure testers can even be borrowed.

I'll be more than happy to guide you through a systematic diagnostic process as soon as you can get access to those tools.

Best Regards.