Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 2005 PT cruiser that is having front wiper probs.

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2005 PT cruiser that is having front wiper probs.
Replaced the wiper switch, mutli function switch and the motor, still no luck.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Exactly what problem are you having - not working at all, no low speed, no high speed, or something else

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not working at all. If I turn the switch on real fast the wipers will actually jump and move. If I do it enough it will move in its complete motion.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

When you replace the motor assembly, did you notice any unusual play or sloppiness in the wiper linkage assembly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. before I replaced the motor, I applied 12V to the old motor itself and it worked fine. Thus thinking it was the "cam" that controls the motor to go back to the home postion.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, this is a straightforward system - power from the fuse to the switch and then to the motor. You need to check for power to the motor. If not present, then check for power out of the switch. If none out, new switch is defective out of the box. IF 12v present, then short in the wiring between switch and motor

If 12v is present, then either the new motor is defective out of the box, which happens more often than we would like, or there is severe wear in the linkage bushings which wasnt picked up on. So check the linkage bushings carefully and replace any that are worn or missing. If linkage and linkage bushings are all good, then it is simply a defective motor out of the box.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Old Motor and new motor act the same, so I am ruling that out. How do I know if I have power out of the switch, it runs directly into the multifunction switch(the blinker switch). Which fuse controls the wipers, I ruled this out because the wiper actually jumps.Rick
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

fuse 15, but should be good since the wiper does jump.

When I say switch, I meant the multifunction switch. should be dark green, red/yellow and brown/white wires supplying power to the motor from the switch.

Since it is acting the same, either a short in the wiring, or there is a linkage issue and you need to recheck it thoroughly for binding, missing or broken bushings,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will test the voltage output Tomm and get back to you.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok only four wires out of the multi function swith(turn signal switch)
Black, red, pink/white, green/white.
12v on p/w and red no matter what position the wiper switch is in.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

hmmm, I will need to opt out as my diagrams are not matching up. Sorry about that. If another expert has the correct ones, they will reply here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the wiring not match up? If I buy a wiring diagram from auto zone, will it have all the different types?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what your saying is, it's really not straight forward? Would the wires run into the main brain and diciper the "codes" sent from the blinker switch since it only has 4 wires out of it?
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

The method used to operate the wipers changed in mid-2005. It went from the simple fuse-switch-motor setup to a sophisticated computerized system. For example, what looks like a plain fuse box on the last image you uploaded, is just the upper part of an electronic module called the TIPM (totally integrated power module)

In the new system, the wiper switch sends a request for current to the TIPM so it can turn on the wiper motor. The logic being that the TIPM will then forward the request via CAN to the PCM, which will manage current by selectively energizing the alternator - all of this happens in less than a couple of milliseconds.

Since faults will leave codes in memory, a dedicated scan tool is now the best tool to diagnose these systems. However, you can still do the basic power and ground tests using either a high-impedance test light or a digital multimeter: with the ignition on, turn the front wipers on to any of its speeds. Then check the motor connector Black wire for ground. If OK, check for voltage at either the Brown/Orange or Brown/White wires. If no or very little voltage present, chances are the TIPM has failed internally and must be replaced.

Please let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are suggesting this unit?

To clarify, what I'm suggesting is that you first check ground and voltage at the motor connector. If not as indicated on my previous response, then replace the TIPM - make sure the replacement unit should is a match (same part number) for the one on your PT.

Best Regards.

Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now. If it didn't, please reply.

Best Regards.