Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler Jeep Dodge technician
62301042

We have a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Touring. Just

Customer Question

HI we have a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Touring. Just recently the van take a good 5 seconds to start and runs fine, however the van reeks of fuel when you stop. When I restart the van it starts right up, but again it reeks of fuel. I see no fuel leaking whatsoever. It seems like the longer it sits before starting is when it takes longer to start.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, is the check engine light on in your T&C?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, The long crank might be related to the smell. The next thing I would do is run a fuel pressure and leakdown test. You'd need a fuel pressure gauge to run this test. It should be 60 psi at idle and not drop less than 10 psi after 10 minutes of the key being shut off. If it bleeds off quickly after shutting the engine off, you'd have to start inspecting the fuel line from front to back for a liquid fuel leak. If nothing external if it leaked down, then you'd need a new fuel pump. That would only address the long crank though, not the smell of fuel. Another test that can be run with a scan tool is an ESIM forced monitor test. That will check for medium and large vapor leaks. If there is a vapor leak, it should set the check engine light but if it just happened, it might not have ran it's test and failed to set the light yet.