Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

How to make a 2.4 dohc 02 model fit a 04 dge stratus

Customer Question

how to make a 2.4 dohc 02 model fit a 04 dge stratus
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

In 2002, Dodge used a Single Board Engine Controller (SBEC). In 2004, the SBEC was changed to the New Generation Controller(NGC). If you install an SBEC engine in a NGC controller vehicle, or vise-versa, the engine will not start - different strategies, crank signals, etc.

Federal law "42 U.S. Code § 7541 - Compliance by vehicles and engines in actual use" prohibits the installation of a older engine in a newer car. Now, hypothetically speaking, if you were to replace the '04 engine with an '02, your best bet would be to replace the harness and NGC as well - about 3.5 hours more.

Plese let me know if you need further assistance with this issue.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is th ngc

New Generation Controller is what Dodge calls the powertrain control module (PCM) starting in 2004. In 2002, Dodge called their PCM a Single Board Engine Controller or SBEC.

The differences are pretty big just in wiring alone; the NGC engine computer uses 3 or 4 (4 if auto) connectors each having 38 pins/cavities. The SBEC used 2 connectors that had 40 pins/cavities. The connectors won't even plug in to the other generation of engine management systems.

Newer electronics with an older block won't work. The only way to do the swap is to run the older SBEC computer, engine, wiring harness, instrument cluster and dash wiring.

If swapping the wiring around in to the newer style connectors were to be the trick, then I'd be telling you to do that. However, the crank signal is different as well. The notching on the crank target is in a different pattern so you'd have to have a computer that knows that it's supposed to run off of the new pattern. The NGC doesn't allow for the SBEC pattern. They're just not compatible in that respect. Also, if you have plug-in style state/safety inspection, then you may run into problems with the SBEC computer since it won't match what your car came with from the factory.

I know this is not a positive answer and might not be not what you want to hear, but believe me, I wouldn't tell you an answer that may upset you if there was another way around it.

Best Regards.