sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

05 pacifica no power to 3 coils no communication to bcm

Customer Question

05 pacifica no power to 3 coils no communication to bcm j1850 short to ground. Checked all grounds added ground wire. Scratching head on this one
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there is no power to three coils it would have to be a wiring issue. All coils and fuel injectors are powered by the same circuit.

What are the actual symptoms you're trying to repair?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle runs barely on 3 cylinders pull the 3 rear coils off and it runs the same. Coils ohm out to be Ok at .8 ohms

You've used an incandescent test light with the engine running and found no voltage on the ASD wire at three coils?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not tried it that way yet I can do that and get back to you

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not able to get to it till later tonight. Should there be a constant positive voltage there or negative. So what I'm asking is does it fire on the negative or the positive?

The coils and injectors receive constant powerffrom the ASD relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the coils do get power from the asd

I figured they did.

Are you able to communicate with the PCM with a code reader or scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a pretty decent launch scanner and that is where I got codes on the bcm with the no communication and the j1850 short to ground
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also get no communication with the ddm and pdm.

The module you're concerned with is the PCM. Are you able to communicate with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do and it doesn't get a chance to get any codes cause it can never run long enough.

The engine doesn't need to run to set fault codes. When you're unplugging coils it's setting codes for those coil primary circuit. You'rs seeing those set?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I currently have a p0685 and a p0688. And when I pull the plugs off the coil it doesn't show up on scan tool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anything else I unplug shows on the scanner but unplugging the coils doesn't show up on the scanner

These are both for the ASD relay. Do these set on their own or were they a result of you having the relay out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They may have set from me unplugging the relay. I was messing with it and now get a p2314 and p2308

Did these set on their own or as a result of unplugging coils?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just hate to toss new coils at it when they ohm out in spec

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was unplugging coils when it was trying to run. Otherwise I don't get any codes

You set the codes yourself then.

Are you using an actual scan tool and can monitor data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can monitor all data using a launch x431

Is it counting misfires on any certain cylinders?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no negative pulse from the pcm for the 1 3 5 cylinders I opened the harness expecting to find a problem with the wires and they are just fine. Does the crank sensor send the pulse? Before suspect a bad driver in the pcm

The coil drivers in the PCM may have failed, the driver circuits could be shorted or open or it coudl possibly be a cam timing issue. If you unplug the cam sensor and start the engine are the drivers present?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a try tonight. I have to get a crank sensor seeing it didn't want to cooperate and broke off.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I got it out but would I love to have a talk with the dummy who designed that one. A simple oring rather then a size on size hole for a sensor would have saved many headaches.

That didn't fix the driveability issue did it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Far from driveable only firing 3 cylinders

Try unplugging the cam sensor and then starting the engine to see if it's the same.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unplugged cam sensor and motor runs a little different not good enough to move itself.

The next thing that should be done is test the coil driver circuits that aren't working for a short to ground and test their continuity from the coils to the PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have opened up the wire harness and tested the wires to the orange plug all 6 test out for good continuity. I have not checked them to ground I'm with the vehicle now so I will do that and let you know in a few minutes

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No connection to ground on any of the wires. All coils ohm at .8 from the orange plug and the asd relay

Are you able to see coil burn time in scan tool data? If so does it show these coils should be firing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if my scanner can do that I have a ethos and a launch. But no keys for the ethos so chrysler is generic

Take a look and see if you're able to look at burn time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well after replacing the computer because of no output to coil 1&3. I got all coils firing but still ran like crap and turned the converter red hot. I pulled timing covers and found the belt had jumped a few teeth on the crank. Aligned timing marks back up and started motor and she started right up. Hope to get it all back together tonight

Great!