bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Still trying to change out the lock cylinder to my 89

Customer Question

still trying to change out the lock cylinder to my 89 Chrysler LeBaronlock where can the depression can be fouLeBaron the replacement? does the key need to be in the AC lock on or start position?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

still need to go a bit deeper you need to pull the turn signal switch and then the lock cylinder will be visible

take a look at this video you have a GM based steering column and this video will give you the BASIC info you need to get down to the lock cylinder you MAY or MAY NOT have the T20 screw holding in your lock cylinder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14sGPdiB250

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
without the t2 locking screw for the lock cylinder what would I have to remove to get it out or what would I have to do?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

look at your new lock cylinder you will see a plastic tab that tab must be pressed with a THIN straight screwdriver there is a slot in the housing that you put the screwdriver into the key is USUALLY needed to be in the run position to be able to press the tab

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would happen if I forced the key into the run position without damage anything else?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

is your cylinder locked or frozen?

if so you may need to drill it out OR force it I am FAIRLY sure you will only damage the cylinder, another method is use a body slide hammer and coarse screw screwed into the slot where you put the key, and break the tab off the plastic tab is pretty easy to break off with the slide hammer technique, I have had to do this in the past on older columns