Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

I own a 2004 PT cruiser. About 4 months ago it began to fail

Customer Question

I own a 2004 PT cruiser. About 4 months ago it began to fail to accelerate over 200RPM (shake and operate with a hurky-jerky motion. I noticed pretty quickly that the problem was not present when the car was started from a warm start. I contimued to operate the car this way as I only took short trips and the car would operate normally once it warmed up. But sure enough this fix slowly stopped working. I investigated the problem myself a concluded the cam-sensor needed replacing. I installed the cam-sensor and the problem persists (with the exception that it now again will operate normally once the car warms up). I need help now diagnosing the problem further as I am not a mechanic but would like to complete the fix as cheaply as possible. Thanks, ***** ***** Bass
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Does the check engine light come on while driving the car?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light is not only on (solid light) but it also begins to flash or blink shortly after starting the car.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I thought so. When was the last time the spark plugs and spark plug wires were replaced?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I ask this because a flashing check engine light indicates cylinder(s) misfiring. The # ***** cause of cylinder misfires on a PT Cruiser is bad spark plugs and wires. If you have not done so, replace the plugs and wires. I think this will take care of the problem.

Chris