sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler 200 convertible top malfunction error code

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Is the top not moving at all?

What position is it in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is up or closed no i can hear sound of something briefly when swich is pushed. But stops quickly and malfuntion comes on.

Were there any mechanical issues or abnormal noises the last time it was used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it has worked flawlessly until yesterday

Have you tried a battery disconnect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is still malfunctioning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took off negative cable for 15 minutes

Do you have access to a scan tool that will communicate with the power top control module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I get one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Harborfreight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the specks nessary for that model number... recommendation I am just a back yard mechanic so do not want to spemd $$$$ but $$$ or $$ would work.

You'd be looking at a minimum of $3-4,000 for a scan tool that would do what you need.

Do you hear the header motor trying to unlatch or does it look like the header is trying to unlatch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Header motor is not making any noise only in trunk do I here any sound

The cargo divider is in place and undamaged, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in place and not damaged

If you see a top malfunction message and don't hear the pump running when the top won't move then the module is seeing an issue and suspending operation to prevent damage. The module watches a handful of micro switches which monitor the state of all components during operation. Your issue is either a mechanical failure and a component isn't moving (such as the header latch motor), or there is a microswitch or wiring isue preventing the top from moving. If there are no visible wiring or mechanical issues with any of the top, header or tonneau cover components then it will be imperative to know what fault codes are setting to begin diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so that is a nice way of saying i need dealership check the codes. I guess i should have went that way first it would have saved me 16.00 thanks anyway!

Unfortunately there isn't a way to diagnose an electrical issue without knowing what fault codes are setting and preventing operation, being able to monitor data, do actuator tests, and testing with a digital voltmeter may also be necessary. The alternative to testing would be guessing and replacing parts, but guessing will get very expensive and I wouldn't tell you to replace something without knowing it had failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok got it, if I had thanks for trying... you and I both know that this was a last ditch effort to try to fix without the dealership.

You're welcome and good luck with your car!