sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My '07 Chrysler which has a Hemi seems to stall at a

Customer Question

My '07 Chrysler which has a Hemi seems to stall at a coasting speed ONLY while making a left turn. I've replaced the EGR, cam sensor and plugs. It's not the ignition switch because I can't duplicate the problem at all in any other vehicle mode except left turn. My wife is afraid to drive the vehicle and I'm at a loss
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the issue happens when turning left that may be because a wire is moving enough to short to ground or go open, or it may be fuel related. Turning will cause fuel to slosh to one side of the tank, there may be a pump or fuel transfer issue.

What model is the vehicle?

Are any fault codes currently setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 2007 and there haven't been any fault codes according to the dealer related to this issue. The fault codes are due to the vehicle loosing power like low oil pressure. There's no sputtering when turning or correcting the car. I'll put the car in neutral next time I make a hard left turn and accelerate to see if the problem occurs. This is a common problem with Hemi's as I research this online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model is Chrysler Aspen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Myself and 2 other mechanics have figured out it's an electrical problem, I thought you could have narrowed it down like a chassis ground (from previous complaints). Have you heard of this happening before to a Hemi engine?

Do you know what P codes are setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Negative, I may take it back to the dealer to advise them what they recommended didn't work. Replace cam/crank sensor and plugs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping you've heard of this happening to a Hemi and have a better solution.

Do you have a big chain parts store such as Autozone? they will usually read fault codes for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's a good idea. I was reading that it could be either the TPS or by the fuse box (driver side) certain wires in a block may have water damage and corrosion. But I will see if any codes are showing later today. I'll keep you posted. I'm betting on the TPS and wiring and hoping its not a fuel line related problem.

The 5.7 doesn't exactly have a TPS, there are two TPS's inside the throttle body and serviced with it but if one failed then the electronic throttle control light would be on and the engine would be in limp in.

If you can find out what codes are currently setting it would be helpful, by your description it sounds like there may be something significant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't you say insignificant? LOL It may be tomorrow I get back to you on the codes. Thanks

Any fault codes setting are significant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning the codes are 1228 and 1229

Do you have the VIN? P1128 and 1129 aren't valid codes for the vehicle information listed. There are no codes between P1129 and P1404.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1A8HX5827 7F517149
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1178 AND 1179 were the codes. I was wrong.

Those are not valid either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1128 and 1129 I reread the code reader

Closed loop fueling not achieved for both banks.

Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? You're going to need to monitor fuel pressure to see if it drops when this happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both banks as in rails? It's becoming more common too, as I hit a bump it'll shut off. Sounds more electrical than mechanical don't you think? Where would I hook up the fuel pressure gauge? Is this any way related to vacuum? That was my guess.

A vacuum leak would cause a high idle.

A bank is a side of a V engine.

You aren't setting any circuit codes or anything of that nature so short of data recording or monitoring data while driving the first thing I would recommend is checking fuel pressure. The fuel line will be removed from the rail and a T hose installed between the line and rail, the pressure gauge is attached to the hose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for securing my mind against vacuum. So electrical is ruled out?
From the pump to the bank is my concern. What's the percentage you put on the fuel pump. My wife drives by 'lights'.

No, an electrical problem can't be ruled out yet. Even if you're losing fuel pressure it may be because the fuel pump is losing power or ground. There is maybe a 50% chance the problem is the pump itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very good. Where is the integrated power control module and where can I find a schematic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the fuel pump lost power wouldn't the vehicle at least sputter and not just quit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there more to this fuel pump than being just a fuel pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there only 1 fuel filter? (integrated in the pump)

The integrated power module is the fuse box under the hood with the silver module. Wiring diagrams can be found in the service manual, a factory manual would be the most accurate. A single vehicle subscription to alldatadiy.com would be the cheapest.

I'm not certain what you mean about the fuel pump being more than a pump, it's only job is to pump fuel if that's what you meant.

The fuel filter is part of the filter/regulator, part of the pump assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information on the ipm. But my question, is the fuel pump and filter/regulator separate? Are they located in the same part of the vehicle? (Tank)

The fuel pump is located in the tank on all modern vehicles. The fuel filter is part of the filter/regulator, part of the pump assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they're all in the tank

Yes, the fuel pump is in the tank.