sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country in which the 3rd row

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country in which the 3rd row powered seat back (passenger side of car) is not operating. The stowing portion of the seat works but can't go all the way down because of the seat back being stuck. Any insight on what/how to check and repair?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be electrical or mechanical. If you hear no noise whatsoever when trying to move the seatback it could be the recliner motor, module or wiring, but most of the issues I've seen with these have been a locked up recliner mechanism.

Either way the seat is going to need to be disassembled to see what has happened. If there is no noise when pressing the switch then the motor's power and ground can be tested, if the motor does attempt to run but the seat doesn't move then the recliner mechanisms can be checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured the motor was a good possibility as it makes no sound, but how to get at it is what I need to know and how to test the electrical.

The seat will need to be disassembled to access the motor and recliner mechanisms. You can usually leave the seat in place and remove the seat back cover to access the motor and recliner mechanisms. Once the seat cover is rolled up then the motor would be unplugged and a set light set up across it's terminals. With the button pressed if the test light lights up then the motor is being powered and should be moving.