Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

I have a 1999 Chrysler cirrus lxi it has about 127,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Chrysler cirrus lxi it has about 127,000 miles on it. Whenever I'm going low speeds or come to a stop light or don't have my foot on the throttle the RPM's drop really low and it tends to die I have tried to put it in neutral when I come up to a light but I will still die sometimes. I can pump the throttle and it usually keeps it from dying I really need help I have a mechanic saying that I might need a new transmission but I have other people saying that it's not it. I really need help on this..
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start first with giving the throttle body and the IAC (idle air control valve with some carb cleaner. Before you start the cleaning, remove the negative battery cable so the computer will reset . Give this a try and post back with the results and we can work from there if need be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't work my car is still dying...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I repeat the process a couple of times?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its not likely going to do any good to repeat the process if its still having the problem, you may have a bad IAC but before you consider replacing it I would have the computer scanned and see if there are any fault codes setting, most auto parts store will do this for you at no charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been to several different auto places and none of them found anything and also my "check engine" light isn't on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took so long to respond I have been working a lot and have had no time for my car..
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay , can you keep it running if you give it some gas when it wants to stall?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah most of the time. I have even tried to put it in neutral when I come up to a stop light but it still dies. That is why I don't think it's the transmission.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You may be dealing with a bad IAC (idle air control) valve if cleaning it did not work. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/IAC%20Oct%2021.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was finally able to test it and the wires are all good so I replaced the IAC and my cars is still having the same problem. I'm not quite sure what to do next I can't seem to pinpoint the location of the problem..
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Has the computer system been scanned and if so are you getting any fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been scanned and there are no fault codes. Could it be the Cadillac converter is clogged?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you suspect the converter is clogged, try loosening exhaust up at the exhaust pipes where the connect to the manifolds till you have a healthy leak and drive it. If there restricted, the problem should clear. In most cases if they are plugged you will notice a major lack of power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was finally able to disconnect my exhaust and there is nothing it is pretty clean but I just figured out that my battery is holding a full charge it is only able to hold enough to start my car without me noticing it when I start it up. Could that be the problem? Or do you think it is still something else.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If it still dying on you after cleaning the TB then the next step would require hooking up a scan tool that can read the data stream and monitoring the system to see what signal is dropping out when the engine stalls. As I mentioned eariler, you may have a failing IAC but watching the data stream would show that if that was in fact the case.