Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler Jeep Dodge technician
62301042

I'm having trouble with my 2005 crysler town and country 3.3

Customer Question

hello. I'm having trouble with my 2005 crysler town and country 3.3 auto.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I inspected the wiring harness before purchasing a new computer (mechanic said bad computer but it kept burning up coil packs so I wanted to make sure it wasn't wiring). Unfortunately I failed to reconnect one of the connections on the wiring harness after I installed the new computer. The car initially tried to run for a couple seconds, after that, it wont crank and I have a red blinking light in the top right of the display. The connector that I failed to connect was just below the coil pack. It was two wires, and I believe it may have been the crankshaft position sensor (just guessing on that).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a po513 code (invalid SKIM Key) showing.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, that means the WCM is not recognizing the key in the ignition. You could try to have that key reprogrammed, replace and program a new key or if there is another key for the vehicle, try that key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about getting the key reprogrammed? Can I just bring the key and VIN number to the local crysler?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

No, unfortunately the vehicle has to be where the scan tool is to either attempt to reprogram the existing key or program a new key. Some locksmiths are capable of programming keys also, maybe try a locksmith first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will try that first, thanks.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know how you make out. Sometimes the existing keys will reprogram and sometimes they're just bad. Give it a shot with the existing key first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dealership here says they can't look at it until Monday. Is that scan tool a rentable item from a parts store. Locksmith says he cant do it either.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming its not but I figured Id ask.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

I don't know of anywhere that rents them, sorry.