gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Well.. I have a 03 Chrysler voyager, we lost the keys ..

Customer Question

well.. I have a 03 Chrysler voyager, we lost the keys for it.. went to u pull it parts got new ignition module with key.. it starts but dies after 2 secs I'm assuming due to the transponder..? So without spending $200 with a locksmith what do we need to do??
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

Call your local dealership! All they need to do it look up the PIN code for your vehicle, and plug in their scan tool and input this to adapt the module- it takes just a few minutes, don't let them charge a lot (of course, you have to either get the vehicle there, or get someone to come out with their scan tool and the PIN)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea, sounds easy enough except they want $205 to do that... Is there some way to get around that? Could you possibly consult someone who specializes with chrysler/dodge
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I am a Chrysler tech, working at a dealership right now. $205 seems a ridiculous price, that is over 2 hours at $100 an hour! There are no parts involved, just time, and it takes less than 5 minutes to adapt it if you have the PIN.

The scan tool is portable, does not need an internet connection, just hook up to the car and input the PIN. They could do it on the side of the road if necessary, the issue is if you could get a tech to come out. I worked at a dealership that had a "mobile tech" who could go out and perform services at peoples' homes that did not need a lift or parts- like key adaptation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm asking though is if there's a way to get around taking it to the dealer.. As much as I agree that's an outrageous price, doesn't change the fact that's what they will charge me..
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

No- the module needs to be adapted to the system with the PIN. There is no other way. Even just getting a key has gotten expensive with these immobilizer systems, a key by itself can cost $130. Do you have more than one Chrysler/Dodge/Ram dealer in your area? I live in a rural area, and I have another dealer 30 minutes north and 35 minutes south.