Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a ticking and knocking noise I tried using engine

Customer Question

HI I have a ticking and knocking noise I tried using engine flush then oil change with high mileage oil but did not help I put specific engine treatment for lifter noise but still nothing helps. I believe it is the rocker arms pin. How ever should I drive car or is it dangerous if I drive it till Monday.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Till Monday? That is only 1 day. How many miles would you be driving it? I wouldn't go too far. How long or how many miles ago did these noises start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is going on for 4 days now and it got worst . I do have the abs light on my mechanic said my right front wheel bearing needs to be changed. I don't know if it's related to the noise.I already drove about 500 km on it since the noise and I would drive about 250 km more by Monday. Do you agree that it probable a rocker job?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the noise happens when the vehicle isn't moving then it would not be related.

So you need to drive 155 miles by tomorrow? No, I wouldn't drive it.

Does the ticking and knocking occur at the same time and appear to be coming from the same place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once it starts no noise one it's on for a nit or I drive for abit the noise comes and when it is not moving it dies tick Def not as loud as driving special when I push on the gas pedal. What do you think is the problem
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I would remove that valve cover and take a look at them rocker arms and shaft. If it's that loud, you should be able to feel around at one or more loose or start it up briefly with the valve cover off and look.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the noise Def coming from the top area of engine
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I agree.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see that will not allow the oil to flow to the engine causing the noise. OK driving it anymore is definitely a bad idea. How much this repair cost and can the timing built cause this noise as well I do have 136 000 km on the car
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

No, a timing belt doesn't make a knocking noise. How much will the repair cost? That depends on what is found and that has to be established before an estimate can be had.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What does your mechanic say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know yet I wil go on Monday. Does the rocker arm assembly have everything you need for the job. And is it possible two assembly rocker arms are needed for the job.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Again, you are asking questions without knowing what exactly is wrong. Why don't you wait until your mechanic looks at it and determines what exactly is wrong and gives you an estimate, then if you want to know if the estimate is accurate or if you need help finding the parts or whatever, then let me know.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You must realize, I cannot hear it. Or even see it, unless you take a video with sound and upload that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will double check on Monday with the parts and prices on Monday.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok