sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I left my 2008 sebring convertible suspended to dust off the

Customer Question

I left my 2008 sebring convertible suspended to dust off the cargo tray and inside the trunk. The top is up but trunk is open and nothing will move warning message is top fail this was last night I put beach towels under the corners of the top because gravity was pulling it into the top and leaving an indention.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that The hinges on the cargo tray came apart when I was dusting it off so my daughter and I put the tray back on and then that is when we tried to lower it. We tried putting tray back into slots to make sure sensor felt them, we unhooked battery cable for 10 minutes, tried, and then 30 minutes and then tried again Nothing is working the only thing happening is the message top fail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions + Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help as soon as possible
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Outside of the battery disconnect that you've tried and a physical inspection of components there isn't a lot that can be done without a scan tool to see what fault codes are set in the power top control module. The PTCM is suspending operation because it's seeing a failure in the system.

The cargo divider has to be in place for the top to move. The ends of the divider that engage the grooves were weak and would often break. There is a microswitch on the right side that has to be engaged for the top to operate. I've seen many dividers that were broken enough that it would sag when in place but still stay, and it wouldn't close the switch. Is the cargo divider undamaged and fully in place where it engages the quarter trim on both sides?