Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler Jeep Dodge technician
62301042

We have a 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser. The fan blows on the AC

Customer Question

We have a 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser. The fan blows on the AC but is not cold.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, is the AC compressor coming on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. I am a female not mechanically inclined. If you could answer the question for compressor coming on and not I would appreciate it. Also how would I know if compressor was coming on? If you could include a ball park on how much it might cost to repair I would certainly appreciate it as my funds are so limited. Thanks in Advance for help and support.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

The ac compressor is driven by the belt. It's on the right side of your engine. It's in the bottom right of the picture I attached. In the middle of the compressor pulley is a clutch. When you turn the AC on, you should hear the clutch click and start spinning with the pulley. It not possible for me to give you a cost yet, we don't know why the AC is not working without running some tests. I'd be glad to walk you through them but you will need a few tools for me to do that. The first move is to see if that compressor clutch is coming on or not when you turn the AC on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK .... I'm unable to check this out at this moment. It would be later in the afternoon. When does this session end?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

*It is not possible. Sorry about the typo.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

It can last days. I'll be online most of this morning, I can get back to you later this afternoon. This thread can last days, it depends how long it takes us to figure out the problem and when both of us are online to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Jon. So when I'm able to lift the hood and check to see if the clutch clicks and starts spinning I will respond. It will be later today before I can get outside and raise hood. So, when I return inside this box would be empty and I would just let you know by typing ?????
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I get a notification every time you respond to this. So if the compressor doesn't come on, You'll need t find one of the service ports, take the plastic cap off and push the valve core in for a second like you're letting air out of a tire to see if there's any refrigerant in the system. I think this is one of them in the picture half cut off on the line on the left.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello ...... had some help so after lifting hood turned on AC. We did hear the compressor kick in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already been charged $16.00 for your help through Paypal. Problem has NOT been resolved. WHY are you asking for more money???????
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

I didn't ask for any money...is the compressor staying on constantly when the AC is on or cycling on and off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, there's 2 lines going to the evaporator in your firewall. Is the thicker line ice cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry. I'm a female and not a mechanic so I'm having some difficulty locating this. I would love to have an Operator's Manual as I did purchase the car but owner did not have the manual. Where could I get one?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

It's ok, the owner's manual won't help regarding this issue but you could get one from a dealer. Those lines in the picture I sent go towards the firewall. I need to know if the thicker one is ice cold. If it is, we might be looking at a blend door issue. The blend door is operated by a cable on your vehicle.