cwalkerjr21
cwalkerjr21, Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.
73583367

I have a 2000 Chrysler 300M that ha dead battery from

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chrysler 300M that ha dead battery from sitting for awhile. Hooked up jumper cables and let it charge for about 10 minutes. Started the car, ran it for about 15 seconds then it died and now there is power anywhere, no lights nothing. Is there a main fuse that might have blown and if so where might it be located. Thank you very much.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 1 year ago.

It could be any of the battery feed fuses. I would check cavity T and S first. I have loaded the diagram below. Anytime you run jumper cables it can cause an excess power and blow the power fuse. This box is located under the hood. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The T and S fuses are fine. All other fuses in the fuse box appear to be fine. Is there a main fuse, or on the older cars it was a fusible link that may have blown.

Lets do a reset on the battery. It could just need to be rebooted like a computer. Remove both the positive and negative battery cables. Leave them removed for 5 minutes. Reconnect them. Make sure cables are clean and you have a good tight connection. Let me know if this works. sometimes the computer can get locked up. If not we will need a volt/ohm meter and I will assist in diagnosing the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the battery on this car is located down behind inner fender on the passenger side and is next to impossible to access. There is jump start terminals in the engine compartment. I do not have volt meter (I may have one I can borrow tomorrow) but I put a test light across the jump start terminals and it didn't even glimmer. My experience with these is that will at least flicker if there is a little amount of voltage.

Sounds to me like the issue is a bad connection to the battery. If you did not get a flicker there is no power. Fuses checked good but you still have nothing. You will need to get to the battery. It is possible it is dead. If it is could be just a bad battery or even a alternator issue. But it also can just be the connections at the battery. This time of year after cold/hot rain ect moisture builds up causing the battery connections to get corroded. So please get to the battery and verify it has 12v if you cannot get to a voltmeter get that test light on the battery terminals. If nothing the battery is dead. Bring the battery to autozone or similar have them run a test on it after they charge it for free. If battery is good than we may need to check the alternator. This can be done with a voltmeter car running put the connections on the jump start terminals. It should read 13.3-14.4 if not the alternator is bad and in need of replacement. If the battery is giving off a light clean and reconnect the battery cables and see if that solves the issue. If so get some battery goop from the parts store and after cleaning the connections put the goop on liberally this will stop the corrosion in the future. I have loaded the steps to replace battery as a reference to help get the job done. If you need anything else let me know I will be here. Take a moment to rate the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if the battery is dead would it not at least show power to an interior light when jumper cables are hooked up, there is none.

If the battery is discharged it will not show anything. Also if the connections to the battery are shorted with some corrosion it will not allow the current to pass through to the system, jumping it will not get to the actual electronics. It is possible a fuse could be blown but you said you checked them. Now it is possible to look like new but be bad. THe only way to know if it is good is using an ohm meter. But the fuses I showed are the ones that would kill power to the entire car. Many times if you have a bit of corrosion jumping it will cause it to short and not get power. Lets just begin by verifying the battery is not discharged or the connections are not corroded.