Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

In the last 6 months my Plymouth grand voyager has d veloped

Customer Question

In the last 6 months my Plymouth grand voyager has d veloped a reoccurring problem, today marks the 5th time. My car will start and then die/ stall out after running about 30 seconds. It will usually do this 4 times before it will not start at all. Then after sitting for 24 hours the first three times it would start and drive without any further event for about 6 weeks to 8 weeks. Now the last two times it has needed 36 to 48 hours to reset and is occurring in quicker intervalstime before last, about a month, and last time to now about 10 days to 2 weeks. I believe it has something to do with the alarm system and kill switch as the car has been locking itself when turned off and the alarm going off and shutting the car down when I start the car. Help.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This sounds more like a PCM (engine computer ) or a cam or crank sensor failure. Have you had the trouble codes checked recently?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know next to nothing about cars, I have talked to the AAA people and have towed it to Dobbs, but the next day, they called me and asked why the car was there as it started and drove just fine. I did't have a clue what it might be and they seemed not to know either. AAA said not to take it back to the shop until it was not running, because they would not know what it was until it was doing it again. If you can tell me what it might be then I can tell them what to look at. And if you could give me an idea of cost, that would also be helpful.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well drive the car until it acts up again. Then get to the shop as soon as possible after it acts up. Ask the guys to check the trouble codes. If there is a code for the cam or crank sensor, then replace the appropriate sensor. If there are no codes, then suspect a faulty PCM and have it replaced. Figure around $250. To replace the sensors and $around $ 600.00 for the PCM. I hope that this information is helpful,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I wrote this question to you the car was having an episode. Cranking, running for 30 seconds and then stalling/ dying out. Because the car continually is locking and or unlocking itself and because twice this week when I started the car the alarm went off and shut the car down, I believed the alarm system or electrical system( computer) was the culprit. I opened the hood, disconnected one of the leads on the battery and waited 30 minutes as I asked you these questions. I then reconnected the lead on the battery, got back in the car and it now starts and runs and am driving the car. What is your diagnosis of the situation?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Well the locking/unlocking issues may be a security alarm problem, and if that is the case, the shop will need to connect to and communicate with the BCM (Body control Module). You may have more than one problem possibly. My recommendation is to leave the van with the shop for a few days so that when it does act up, the technician can monitor the BCM (alarm) and PCM (engine computer). Then this can be narrowed down quickly. You will need to be patient. Some intermittent problems take time to properly diagnose.

Chris